Monday 17 December 2018

The business of healthcare

Anna Gosine the founder of VitalMIST. Gosine one of the finalists for the Mel Woodward Cup, made it through two phases of the Embryo Grant, and place second in the Evolution Pitch and Pick competition to name a few of her achievements.

Florian Villaumè shows a photograph of Anna Gosine and Brett Vokey
on a laptop after they placed in a competition.  Anna Gosine's company,
VitalMIST, made it through two phases of the Embryo Grant ($30,000) 
which is a grant created by different organizations in NL to accelerate
startups in the healthcare sector.  Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog
By Melissa Wong
My Online Journalism Blog

Memorial student's company win award

"VitalMIST has been really lucky to be awarded a few times over the lifetime of our company," Gosine wrote from Toronto, Canada. "In March we were one of the finalists for the Mel Woodward Cup ($10,000) which is a really exciting competition by the Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship that showcases student companies and allows them to compete for $10,000."
One of her teachers was present for the awards ceremony. 
"I felt excited for her because she worked very hard and I think she's an inspiration for many entrepreneurs, so I feel very proud of her and happy for her." Villaumè, Director of Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship, said. "Last year, she went to Malawi and she was exposed to issues in the health sector," Villaumè added. "So, when she came back, she got some interest in that sector, but once again, that is my perception."

A family in Malawi

After seeing first-hand, the medical problems in Malawi, Anna Gosine returned home determined to make a healthcare device accessible to all.
In the summer of 2017, Gosine was participating in the Evolution Program through the Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador(MUN)’s Genesis Centre. On a work term in Malawi, Gosine found her calling.
“Throughout my time in Malawi I lived with an incredible family who taught me SO much about life in Malawi,” Gosine wrote from Toronto. “Getting to really immerse myself in Malawian culture was amazing but I also was exposed to some of the issues related to access to adequate healthcare. This is what inspired me to start VitalMIST with the aim of designing more accessible healthcare technology.
“My goal was to start a company that could design more accessible healthcare technologies so that families like... (the one I stayed with) in Malawi could have access to the healthcare they need.” Gosine added.

To support all my content, please check out my Patreon account at https://www.patreon.com/mewong936
Journalist.wong@gmail.com
@MilsongWong
©Melissa Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment