Wednesday 2 January 2019

The last supper downtown

Downtown ramen shop serves one last supper to its customers before closing its doors 

Spicy Chicken Miso with Udon Noodle is made of torn chicken, sweet corn, sofrito tare, yu choy, celery, torn nori, green onions, and roasted garlic puree. It was on the menu on Bad Bones Ramen's the last night at its downtown location. Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog


By Melissa Wong
My Online Journalism Blog

ST. JOHN'S, NL-- A downtown noodle house closed its doors a few days before the new year.
On Dec. 29, 2018, a short line of people waited until 6:00 p.m. in the falling snow for Bad Bones Ramen to open. Despite the cold, these customers braved the cold for a final supper at the noodle house's downtown location before it closed for good.

According to Bad Bones Ramen's Facebook page, its has been at its location on 152 Water Street for "a year and a half."

"In order to remain committed to the idea of running a sustainable and minimalistic restaurant downtown, we have to find a new location," Bad Bones Ramen wrote in a January 1, 2019, Facebook post after the last supper. "Although some of our essentials have been prematurely detained, we are optimistic we can get up and running very soon."

My first-hand account

I attended the last supper; I remember walking past a group huddling in a doorway to stand at the back of the line. The group in the doorway left the doorway and stood behind us in the slowly growing line. I heard someone behind me say that they lost their spot because they were trying to keep warm.

When the doors opened the line slowly entered the noodle house. When I gave my order, the cashier had to answer the phone because people were placing orders over the phone as well. I ordered the Chicken Miso and a dumpling side.
The Chicken Gyoza Dumplings side dish that can be ordered
with a ramen meal. It comes with a dipping sauce if
ordered. Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog
I was able to get a seat even though they were quickly being taken. Some people stayed and others were simply ordering food and leaving once they were served. By the time I left, my seat was quickly taken and a small crowd had grown around the cashier.
"We won't give up"
Many businesses in Newfoundland closed in 2018 such as Templeton's and Stockwoods. The noodle house's Facebook assured its customers that it would open again at a new location."We won't give up"

"It may be a bumpy ride but we are Bad Bones, which means we won't give up despite obstacles thrown our way," Bad Bones Ramen stated on Facebook.


To support all my content, please check out my Patreon account at https://www.patreon.com/mewong936
Journalist.wong@gmail.com
@MilsongWong
©Melissa Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment