Saturday 5 October 2019

Marathon of Hope runs for 39 years

The Terry Fox Run invited some special guests to Quidi Vidi Lake for its 39th anniversary



Melissa Wong
My Online Journalism Blog

Disclaimer: I express my personal feeling and opinions on the Terry Fox Run in this blog post because I am a supporter of cancer research and I have been running for a cure for years


The first time I ever ran in the Terry Fox Run was in 2009, and I have been running in the Marathon of Hope ever since.

After jogging around Quidi Vidi lake's 3.4 km trail, I earned
my yearly sticker. Other runners or volunteers at the 2019
Terry Fox Run that year are standing behind me in the
background. 
Submitted by Debbie Boland-Wong 

The run at Quidi Vidi lake on September 15, 2019, celebrated the 39th anniversary of Terry's first run.

It was a beautiful day when I walked to the King George V Park to register for the Terry Fox Run. I was surprised to find some boxes of bananas and granola bars, and some packages of bottled water already set out for the runners. Usually, snacks are only brought out once the runners have finished the race.

Before going into the park to register for the run, I wrote the names of the ones I was running for on the participation poster. The sticker station was beneath the poster, so I picked up a sticker and wrote the name of the one I was running for on it. Then, I stuck the light blue sticker onto my jacket.

When I entered the park, Jenna Mulroney was singing once again this year in the registration area.

CBC reporter, Cecil Haire, made a special guest appearance at the Terry Fox Run as the main speaker at the event. Haire also introduced the run's other special guest, Terrance Fox, Terry Fox's nephew from British Colombia.

Volunteer runners are gathering at the archway for the
2019  race to begin. It is a sunny day. 
Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog

"I was hoping to be able to come to St. John's," Terrance said. "This is my first time here… St. John's and Newfoundland, in general, are such a huge and important part of the Terry Fox Run."

"The Terry Fox Run is held in 30 countries outside Canada," Terrance added. "Terry Fox is very much a global impact- the story and the cancer research that's being done is incredible. But again, none of this is possible without all the volunteers that are here today… and thank you all of you."

Haire took back the microphone after Terrance's speech and thanked him and Terry's team for coming to the run. Terry's team are cancer survivors, wearing red shirts during the run. They were asked to gather outside the park for a photograph together.  

When Haire called St. John's run coordinator, Debbie Curtis, to the microphone she also thanked Terry's team.

"I always get inspired by all the red shirts here at the Terry Fox Run," Curtis said. "... the Terry's Team members who join us every year and we love seeing their faces to know they are coming back year after year."

"Thank you so much," Curtis added. "You give such inspiration to us and it makes us remember why we do this for sure."

Registration desk volunteers handed out free tickets to
registered runners for an annual charity basketball game
at Memorial University (MUN). According to the
@MUN_Students twitter account, MUN will donate all
 proceeds to the Terry Fox Foundation. 
Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog

According to Curtis, the Terry Fox Run is important to the MUN Seahawk's athletes who come to the run. They usually lead a warm-up, run around the lake and bring their mascot, Sammy the Seahawk, to the event. 

The MUN Terry Fox Committee also contributes to the foundation by organizing fundraisers such as the annual charity basketball game. On October 10, 2019, they will be holding their 3rd yearly game at 6:30 p.m. for the Terry Fox Foundation.

"75 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to research," Haire said when he explained the Terry Fox Foundations policy of physical accountability to ensure the donations meet their intended goals to the crowd.

Terry Fox began his run in Newfoundland on April 20, 1980, and 39 years later, many Newfoundlanders are still running for a cure.

"Thanks to our time zone today," Haire said. "No matter what speed you do the walk, you will be among the first in the country to cross the finish line."



Check this out on Chirbit

To support all my content, please check out my Patreon account at https://www.patreon.com/mewong936
Journalist.wong@gmail.com
@MilsongWong
©Melissa Wong



No comments:

Post a Comment