Monday 11 November 2019

Poppy for my great grand-poppy

Remembering the life of a painter who became a soldier 



My Online Journalism Blog
Melissa Wong


On Remembrance Day 2019, I woke up wanting to know more about my great grandfather who fought in World War One.

A few days ago, I had visited the grave of the Private and pinned a poppy to his headstone. Born August 1, 1894 Michael Joseph Boland enlisted in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment on February 17, 1915.

Today, I decided I would make an effort to ask my mother about the Private and hunt down his military records on The Rooms' website.

Michael Joseph Boland was a Private in the Royal
Newfoundland Regiment. He enlisted in World War One
 and was as a prisoner of war.
 
Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog
To gain a better understanding of my great grandfather, I decided to interview my mother, Debbie Boland-Wong, about Private Michael Boland… the soldier and the painter.

"My grandfather, who was your great grandfather, was Michael Boland," Debbie said. "He died… in my second year of school."

Debbie said that from what she had heard, Michael did not like to talk about the war. She knows that he went to war in 1915 and was awarded medals for his service.

According to my mother, Debbie will always remember him, not as a soldier, but as the one who helped her gain self-confidence.

When Debbie first started school, her mom told her that poppy Boland was always looking out for her when she was walking home after school.

"And I never knew what she meant by that," Debbie said.  

According to Debbie, her mother later told that her grandfather would secretly wait for her outside of school and watch her walk home to make sure she arrived home safely. My mother felt like a big girl because Michael let her feel like she could do it on her own. 


Check this out on Chirbit
According to Michael's military records, on February 17, 1915, the Roman Catholic painter became a Private of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

Michael left St. John's and went to Alexandria before traveling to Gallipoli.

Michael Joseph Boland was buried near his wife. 
This year, my mother and I brought him a poppy. 
Melissa Wong/My Online Journalism Blog
His medical documents note that on Oct. 12, 1916, he had a slight injury in his foot and later he was captured by the enemy in France at Vimy Ridge, April 14, 1917.

The paper trail runs cold when researching Michael's time as a prisoner of war from April to December 1917.

Once he returned to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Michael's medical report revealed he was transferred to Switzerland for 20 days because he was suffering from influenza. The report said he had a disability in his left heel, foot and scalp. He was declared permanently unfit and discharged.

Michael's discharge papers were approved on February 22, 1919, he had been in the war for around four years.

Michael was more than a soldier, he became a father, a grandfather and now even in death- he is a great grandfather. 

"He watched out for me," Debbie said. "I suppose that was the type of person he was- that's why he would have gone to war because he cared. He was always watching."

To view his military records, go to The Rooms' online Michael Boland military documents.


To support all my content, please check out my Patreon account at https://www.patreon.com/mewong936
Journalist.wong@gmail.com
@MilsongWong
©Melissa Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment